FUNCTION OF USM BIOSAFETY COMMITTEE (UBSC)
- Provide guidance to Principal Investigator (PI) on biosafety policies and issues in the use of Living Modified Organism (LMO)/rDNA research, including safety of laboratory personnel and other members of the organisation.
- Recommend approval for LMO/rDNA research project that are found to conform to Biosafety Act 2007 and Biosafety (Approval and Notification) Regulations 2010 and periodically reviewing these research projects.
- Assess and monitor the facilities, procedures, practices, training and expertise of personnel involve in LMO/rDNA research.
- Notify the PI of the results of the IBC’s review, approval, or rejection of their application for approval and notification of all activites involving the use of LMO/rDNA to the National Biosafety Board (NBB).
- Assess and set containment levels for LMO/rDNA research and modify containment levels as necessary.
- Assess field experiments to ensure that the proposed risk assessment, risk management and emergency response plan are sufficient.
- Adopt and implement emergency reponse plan covering accidental spills and personnel contamination, resulting from LMO/rDNA research.
- Review and report to the Vice Chancellor and to the NBB any significant problems with non-compliance of the Biosafety Act 2007 and Biosafty (Approval and Notification ) Regulations 2010 and any significant research-related accidents or illnesses.
- Ensure the information provided in the relevant application form (Approval/Nofitication) is correct and complete.
- Perform other functions as prescribed by the Biosafety Act 2007 and its regulations or guidelines.